How are we to know God’s purpose for our lives?
Therefore I exhort you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice – alive, holy, and pleasing to God – which is your reasonable service. Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God – what is good and well-pleasing and perfect. (NETBible, Romans 12:1-2)
If you are just joining us in the Purpose series, I would like to welcome you!
We are currently brainstorming the answers to four questions in an effort to discern God’s will in our lives. After each question, I will also evaluate if my answers are in line with being a “living sacrifice” and having a “renewed mind”. To review, the questions are:
- What excites you most in your life right now?
- How are you currently attempting to connect with God on a regular basis?
- Where are there gaps in your life? A longing for doing something differently? Or doing something new?
- How have you answered the question “What is your purpose” in the past? How do you feel like that has changed or not changed?
On to Question 1: In no particular order, here are the things that I’m really amped up about right now:
- Samuel – It took two years of “trying” for Brad and me to be blessed with a pregnancy. God has blessed us so much with our little man Samuel, who is 9 months old! His name means “God hears”, and Sammy Sam is such a wonderful reminder of God’s unending and lavish blessings upon us. I love being a mommy! Brad and I pray for Samuel often, and I can’t wait to see how God works to get his heart and make him a strong, Godly man.
- Blogging – I was very nervous to start this blog, but God has already been using it in so many ways! He is using it to bring me closer to Himself. I know this is a facet of ministering to others that God can use (if I allow Him to), but I also know this is not the only ministry He has called me to.
- Spiritual Growth – While Brad was in seminary, I had a very dry time spiritually. A combination of things spurred this on (don’t worry, I’ll blog about it sometime ;-)), but what it came down to was my disobedience and a hardened heart. Then, we moved to Austin two years ago to be part of a then one-year-old church plant. During the last two years, God has been calling me back to not only obedience but a true joy in living for His glory. This has slowly but surely been leading to more spiritual growth in my life than I’ve had in years.
- Acting – I questioned whether I should put this under the “excited about” category because I have been so busy with everything else that I haven’t had much time to focus on my acting career. However, I just booked a national commercial and filmed it a couple of weeks ago! So…I can’t help but be a little excited about that! 🙂
- The Holidays – I love the holidays! I love it all! Family, food, shopping, yummy smells, cold air, Christmas cards, crafts, and the constant reminders to turn our hearts to God and others. This is such an opportune time to share my faith with the people I care about and have relationships with. It’s a time of year when people naturally accept invitations to your home to gather and celebrate. I’m praying for several friends to hear and receive the message of salvation this year.
When reflecting on these answers, I only see a smidge of being a “living sacrifice” or having a “renewed mind”. A tiny smidge at that. What I’m most excited about appears to be… me.
Instead, I want to be excited about what God is doing and what God wants from me. I know this Purpose series is helping me discover that. (I know because…well because I cheated and already did all of my brainstorming ;))
Now it’s your turn! Wherever you are, share what you are most excited about right now and how in line you are with being a living sacrifice and renewing your mind. Here’s how:
- If you’re a blogger – blog your answer and link us up to it!
- If you don’t have a blog, add your answer to the comments.
Heavenly Father, Thank you for the reminder that Your will is good. It is perfect and pleasing. Would you open our eyes to how you want us to live? God, what is our purpose? How can we renew our minds and be a living sacrifice at this stage of our lives? Bless my friends on their Purpose journey.