Today is my 30th birthday.
No, no, I’m not upset. Don’t worry about me! I cried in the title of this post, and that’s all I’m going to do.
I actually love getting older. I’ve always been pretentious. When I was a kid, I hated it – with a passion – when cashiers at the store would talk down to me. As if I were a child! How dare they!? I am mature, as evidence by how much I whined to my mom for that candy just then. So there.
So I’m just getting what I wanted all along, you see – age. Years. Wisdom. It means that you’re never wrong and no one can tell you what to do, right? Ha!
No really, I am excited about today because I’M GOING ON A DATE! I know! Stop the presses! It’s going to happen! My mom is here for the weekend and is going to watch Samuel so there is no rush to get home – woohoo! Adult clothes! Adult perfume and makeup! Adult beverages and food! Adult…well, you don’t want to know about that. 🙂 Don’t mind if I do a little dance right here.
So in honor of my birthday, let’s compile a list of the things we like about getting older. I’ll start:
- I’m more comfortable in my skin. Who cares that I have wrinkles!? I’m 30!
- I am learning to let go of the things I thought I was supposed to do with my life (i.e., have a mega-career) so that I can embrace what I really love doing (i.e., being a mommy and having more time for ministry).
- Hubby Brad says I get sexier with age. Um… going to have to trust him on that one.
- I’ve seen enough to know that I don’t need things or money or status to be happy.
- I have finally started healing from some of the disasters in my life.
- We live debt-free except for our house. Sometimes that lifestyle comes after about $30,000 in “youth” (student loans and cars) debt. 🙂
- I truly see more every.single.day how much my infinite God is real and present in my life.
What things would you add?