I went to Babies R Us last week to finish up Emma’s baby registry. There they offered me a VIB (very important baby) card. It’s a reloadable gift card that can be used for diapers, formula, and baby food. Babies R Us matches the value by 10%. Pretty cool, right?
I told the lady, “Well, I cloth diaper, breastfeed, and make my own baby food, but thanks anyway!” She was very friendly and said her friend was the same way.
I truly love cloth diapering. I cloth diapered my son Samuel from the time he was about 6 weeks old until he potty trained at age 2 (just a few weeks ago – woohoo!).
I have never regretted making the decision to cloth diaper. It combines several things that I love:
- It’s great for baby – better for their skin, especially, but there are other benefits, too.
- It’s economical – I have saved at least $1,500 on diapers by choosing cloth. The real number is probably closer to $3,000 because of the disposable diapers I would have bought had I gone that route.
- It’s eco-friendly – the water and electricity use for washing diapers is much better for the planet than having disposable diapers (which take at least 500 years to decompose) plus human waste in our landfills.
There are more subtle reasons that I like cloth diapering, too:
- The fact that I am in charge of taking care of something so that my son can be taken care of, too – it just speaks to me as a mom. When I get diaper laundry started, I think This is for my Sammy. It’s a reminder, so to speak.
- I love DIY anything. I don’t know why; I just love things that are not simply bought at the store and taken out of a box. I feel like they’re more authentic or something. Not that I made my cloth diapers or anything… (I said this was subtle, didn’t I? :))
- Cloth diapers are versatile. Unlike disposable diapers (which are all very similar even though they’re not created equal), cloth diapers come in a wide variety of types, colors, uses, prices, fabrics, etc.
However, I think that cloth diapering is a personal choice – one that each family makes individually.
And since it is such a new and verstaile realm to most of us, if you are considering cloth diapering, I would love to answer any questions you have! Or if you are currently cloth diapering and are having some issues, I’d be happy to help you troubleshoot. Leave questions in the comments below.
I’m excited about answering your questions, because I have a little something in the works regarding cloth diapering. 😉 News about that coming in the next few months.
Also, if you already cloth diaper or have made that decision, I have a coupon for you to KellysCloset – one of the best places to buy cloth diapers. They have everything! And right now, if you spend $69, you get a free one-size diaper – up to $19 in value. 🙂 Go to Kellys Closet using this link, and use the coupon code CLOVER to get the deal. This code likely expires today.
OR… use code SPRINGBLOG to get FREE SHIPPING on orders of $25 or more! EXCLUDES the purchase of Ruby Moon or Rockin’ Green products. Valid on standard shipping within the continental US only. Does not include upgrades to USPS Priority or UPS insured shipping. Expires April 15, 2012.
Don’t forget to leave your questions in the comments!
Affiliate links are present in this post.